User login

Connect
Sign in using Facebook

Mexico's Drug War: 50,000 Dead in 6 Years

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
alicepotter
Mexico's Drug War: 50,000 Dead in 6 Years

...and that's just what we know about...

Since Mexico's President Felipe Calderón began an all-out assault on drug cartels in 2006, more than 50,000 people have lost their lives across the country in a nearly-continuous string of shootouts, bombings, and ever-bloodier murders. Just last weekend, 49 decapitated bodies were reportedly discovered on a highway in northern Mexico.

Read on at the Atlantic:  http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/05/mexicos-drug-war-50-000-dead-in-6-years/100299/

Share this
Fool for the City
Fool for the City's picture
This is

This is disgusting....sad.....and the thing is, it's getting closer and closer to the tourist communities in Mexico. I won't be going there as long as this stuff is happening, that's for sure.

"[i]Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?"--[b] Steve Polyak[/b][/i]

alicepotter
Yeah, it's pretty intense.  I

Yeah, it's pretty intense.  I was just down in Cabo San Lucas on the Baja, which is removed from the reported violence.  The locals said their tourist economy was doing terrible this year even on the Baja.  Towns like Porta Vallarta and Cancun must really be hurting.  Tourism must be one of Mexico's biggest money maker along with agriculture...